Home >> Statutes >> Back

Click to open printable format in new window.Printable Format
 | Next

60-1402. Change of name of person; notice; order. (a) Petition. A petition may be filed in the county in which the petitioner resides stating: (1) That the petitioner has been a resident of the state for at least 60 days, (2) the reason for the change of name, and (3) the name desired.

(b) Notice. Service of notice of the hearing may be made either by mail or by publication, in the discretion of the court. If notice is directed by publication, such notice shall be published as provided in subsection (d) of K.S.A. 60-307, and amendments thereto; and if notice of hearing is directed to be given by mail, service of notice may be made by registered or certified mail to parties of interest, as prescribed by the court.

(c) Order. If upon hearing the judge is satisfied as to the truth of the allegations of the petition, and that there is reasonable cause for changing the name of the petitioner the judge shall so order.

History: L. 1963, ch. 303, 60-1402; L. 1974, ch. 240, § 1; L. 1979, ch. 184, § 1; L. 1990, ch. 202, § 12; January 1, 1991.

Source or prior law:

L. 1863, ch. 41, § 2; G.S. 1868, ch. 69, § 2; R.S. 1923, 60-2302; L. 1943, ch. 215, § 1.

Law Review and Bar Journal References:

"Is He or Isn't She? Transsexualism: Legal Impediments to Integrate a Product of Medical Definition and Technology," Jeannine S. Haag and Tami L. Sullinger, 21 W.L.J. 342, 343, 347 (1982).

Attorney General's Opinions:

Changes in minor's birth certificate; parental consent. 88-102.


1. Court considering proposed name change should also consider interests of parents and best interests of child. In re Application to Change Name, 10 K.A.2d 625, 629, 706 P.2d 480 (1985).

2. Noted in holding Kansas residency not required for unemancipated pregnant minor to seek waiver of parental notification. In re Doe, 17 K.A.2d 567, 568, 843 P.2d 735 (1992).

3. Trial court lacks jurisdiction or statutory authority to change last name of child of the marriage in divorce action. In re Marriage of Killman, 264 K. 33, 39, 955 P.2d 1228 (1998).

4. Incarceration does not preclude an inmate from having a reasonable cause for petitioning for a name change. In re Clark, 57 K.A.2d 220, 225, 450 P.3d 830 (2019).

 | Next

  A Summary of Special Sessions in Kansas
  Bill Brief for Senate Bill No. 1
  Bill Brief for House Bill No. 2001

  6/03/2024 Meeting Notice Agenda
  LCC Policies

  Chapter 72 Statute Transfer List
  Kansas School Equity & Enhancement Act
  Gannon v. State
  Information for Special Session 2021
  General Info., Legal Analysis & Research
  2023 Amended & Repealed Statutes
  2022 Amended & Repealed Statutes
  2021 Amended & Repealed Statutes
  2020 Amended & repealed Statutes
  2019 Amended & Repealed Statutes

Session Laws

Kansas Legislature
Administrative Services
Division of Post Audit
Research Department